We may have cancer and feel good, or be submitted to substantial disability and suffering without doctors finding any evidence of disease. Medicine gives no acceptable answers to the last situation and arbitrarily appeals to denying the reality of suffering, making the calvary of patients even more unbearable. This blog tries to contribute with the knowledge of the neuronal network, giving a little light to this confusing section of pathology.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Hyperalgesia





- I have a high rate of pain. Everything hurts, always.


Pain is a perception that should emerge only in situations of damage that require protective behavior of tissue integrity. We should only open our umbrella when it’s raining. Always carrying an open umbrella just in case it starts raining is not a good idea.


- I always have high blood pressure.


Hypertension is only justified when we are in a situation that requires a blood flow rate that ensures the blood supply to tissues to cope with certain situations. Giraffes have high blood pressure. Otherwise, blood would not reach their head.


Sustained hypertension ends up damaging the arteries. It’s important to control it with drugs and healthy lifestyles.


Now they say that continued, chronic pain, ends up damaging the brain and, the same way it happens with blood pressure, it should be controlled with drugs and healthy lifestyles.


There is a problem with that proposal: the chronic use of analgesics is a major cause of mortality. An analgesic is an addictive toxic.


- Control your pain. Don’t take too many analgesics. Ask your doctor.


- I have already asked. She tells me to always take the medicine early.


The pain is considered (erroneously) as something that arises from tissues and that when it reaches the brain it generates disrupted, neuronal stress that ends up shrinking the cortex.


- I’m hungry. Always. I would eat anything.


- Eat something. Don’t wait. Hunger ends up creating health problems.


Food is effective in controlling short-term hunger, but it prepares more future hunger. What affects health is not always feeling hungry but always eating, obeying the brain’s requirement.


- Give me something so I’m not hungry. I don’t want to be eating all day. I’m gaining weight. Food has side effects.


The role of hunger is to encourage the individual to seek and swallow food. The role of pain is to encourage us to stay still.


- It hurts.


- Don’t move.


- I need to move. Give me something for it to stop hurting so I can move.


Other times, the brain uses pain to avoid the individual standing still.


- I can’t lay still in bed. I need to move my legs or get up and walk.


- Get up.


- I need to be in bed in order to sleep. Give me something for it to stop hurting so I can stay still.


- You have the "restless legs syndrome".


The restless legs syndrome is one of many syndromes of cerebral anxiety and restlessness. Nothing is wrong with the legs. There are no problems of circulation or any other kind. It’s the brain that expresses its concern at the scene of nightly rest and prefers, God knows why, the individual to stay awake, exploring the world, alert.


- I’m sad and I don’t know why.


- Do something interesting and enjoyable.


- I don’t feel like it. Give me something so I feel like it.


The brain is dangerous for the individual. It’s not always right in its assessments. The ancestral fear of harm and failure makes it protect us too much, for no reason. It forces us to always carry an open umbrella for the fear that something will wet us or that we will stay, unwilling, at home.


We must know that there is a pathology of cerebral decisions, the policy of preventive excess. The individual must know that the management of the organism's programs is in the hands of a system that can make serious strategy errors.


- I’m worried about my brain. I’m bored of its alarmism and its catastrophist predictions.


- Don’t mind it. Trust the real situation of your tissues. Don’t open your umbrella. It’s a lovely day. There isn’t a single cloud. The forecast for this entire week is of good weather.


- Can’t you give me something for the catastrophic brain?


- Common sense. Confidence. Rationality. Knowledge.


- Not for me. I was referring to some kind of therapy ...


Cerebral catastrophism and pessimism generate a system of neural activity that, if maintained in a chronic way, can cause cortical thinning and tonsil fattening. Boredom turns off hippocampal neurogenesis. Neurons need a nice atmosphere, good vibes.


Sometimes all we need is to wise up...


- Give me something for the “wising-up” ... With all the advances we have today, isn’t there anything for this...?


- No.

No comments: